Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

You are Gonna Miss This!

While visiting a client recently I had to reach underneath a desk to retrieve something and my glasses fell off my face. They are somehow twisted and not sitting right thanks to the work of my two toddlers. See what had happened was: A few days earlier while at home, I took my glasses off briefly only to later hear something fall to the ground. Upon investigation I found both kids standing over the glasses looking down at it and then looking up at me with the look that said “I don’t know what happened!”

Try as I might I could not get one to roll on the other so the mystery of whose fingerprints are at the scene remains unsolved. So I am stuck with busted glasses that I have not found the time to go and get repaired.

Anyway, I had to use one hand to poke the frame back on my face and hold it in place and the other to reach for the item in question. When I sat back down I started laughing to myself. Not to worry: I was alone in the office at the time so no one would think I am losing it.

But then I got to thinking; as a parent you have myriads of stories that pile up as time goes on which represent memories that you can look back on and smile. The old reminiscing feeling no doubt take over as you fondly think “I remember when they did this…” or “I remember when they did that…” Whatever “it” is you would gladly tell every living soul who would listen about those times. And when those souls are tired of hearing the same stories over and over you would gladly tell the cat!

One thing is for sure, I am going to miss those times, the times represented in the stories that are told to anyone within earshot. And every parent has them. Each story is a chapter of a much longer story and represents a new stage in the kids’ lives that is gone and you can’t get back but you do miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment