Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

On top of the world

I find there are some moments that will live on in a parent's memory forever. For each of my children I have a defining memory. Somewhere on this blog I think I made a post about Angeline and how after taking taking her to the movies one night on a father daughter date, she turns around just before climbing the stairs to her room and said "Thanks for taking me to the movies daddy". Simple. But somehow, someway I can't explain that stuck with me for years and still does. Jodi though is still making me work (and wait).

But with Nicholas I got one of those defining moments recently. On vacation in the mountains of North Carolina.

Grandfather Mountain.

Aptly named too, if you asked me.

We made our way to the very top of the mountain. Some 5,270 odd feet in elevation. That is about 1 mile.

We are standing just off the edge of a cliff (safely mind you) and I tell him that as long as he lives, always remember that he and his dad were on top of the world. The girls had run back to the car for something so it was just father and son. We turn to look over, down the mountain at the wonderful creation before us. (Attached photo was taken moments later).

I hold his hand (firmly, I am a bit paranoid) and paused just long enough to really enjoy the view. After being serenaded with silence for an eternity that elapsed in a few seconds, he softly turned to me, barely daring to speak, and said,

"I love you daddy".


No comments:

Post a Comment